Webrings - Maps - Trolleys and More
Thursday, September 28, 2017
Friday, September 8, 2017
Friday, September 1, 2017
Sorry for not adding to my blog recently, but there is nothing new for New York City to report for the things that I am interested in:
- No news from the proposed Brooklyn Queens waterfront streetcar. A major statement was supposed to be issued in April, 2017. I heard that there is a lot of opposition to it, particularly in Sunset Park and perhaps Red Hook.
- I am not a user of commuter railroads in New York City but the repairs to the New Jersey Transit and LIRR routes on 34th Street and underwater tunnels were completed on time. It was not a summer of "hell" after all.
- I believe R-179 subway cars are about to be delivered. They will look just like the R160's. today. I pity the young railfans of subway equipment. There are very few models of subway cars available and no surprises.
- The Second Avenue extension opened in January and as you know, it will take years to start any new construction, either as an extension to 125th Street or on another route such as Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn. In short, there are no bids to start construction on any subway route in NYC as far as I know.
- There are no plans or even talk to bring streetcars to traditional streets such as 42nd Street even though Vision 42 tried very hard. Other streets for streetcar routes, such as the Grand Concourse, Staten Island PRW routes on the former SIRT, Surf Avenue Brooklyn never developed besides the talking stage.
- In Germany, an interesting story about constructing an E-Highway for trolley trucks may be started. I believe that these experimental highways are being constructed and or tested in Los Angeles, Sweden and now Germany.
That's all folks.