Dear Visitors:

Please scroll down the page to see present and archive blogs.

Thank you very much: Tramway Null(0)

Webrings - Maps - Trolleys and More

Navigation by WebRing.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

"Trolley" System Planned for Paterson, New Jersey



In my March, 2019 copy of the "ERA Bulletin"  (Vol. 62, No. 3), in the commuter and Transit Notes section for Other Transit  Systems (page 10), it mentioned that for an urban renewal project,  a trolley system is proposed to link the subject area due to scarce parking.  Two loops are proposed and the expected hours of operation were listed.  In the back of my mind, I did not hear about this when I googled News, for streetcars" for a period of time.    In addition, the running schedule was posted so fast!   What about the environmental studies about the impact of the system?   What about the court cases about the line, environmental impact studies and  everything else that makes building  any form of rail or electric transit difficult in this region?   To my surprise, when I  Googled "Paterson New Jersey" and "Trolley", you get pictures of a planned system using faux trolleys.  They look nice but to call them streetcars, trolleys, or light rail is like calling a "hot dog" float in a parade a hot dog.   I believe a similar system is planned for a development in Coney Island Brooklyn.  If it is too good to be true, it is probably not true.  I am surprised that ERA Bulletin gave any space to this non story, unless down the road, if this system is successful, perhaps the real thing will be considered.

Just an observation.   A new green "New Deal" was proposed recently and it was much in the news.  According to my limited research, I did not notice any articles linking this plan with proposed trolleybus lines, streetcars or in motion charging as a means of  electrifying our surface transit.

Perhaps the planners are betting on battery powered buses only.  IMHO only.

tramway_null(0)



No comments:

Post a Comment